Friday, September 29, 2006

TEN YEARS AGO

I went on the first date with Billy. And it was free (for him) and he was guaranteed a kiss. But let me back up a bit- to 2 years earlier.

I went out with my college roommates and met up with a friend from high school. After the club closed we went back to her house along even more friends. Well- most of these friends were guys in the Aggie band. So I was just hanging out talking with some other friends from my high school and getting to know everyone there and where they were from. Two guys sitting near me said they were from East Bernard- which is 15 minutes from where I grew up. So we were comparing notes about who we knew from high school and kinda playing six degrees. Those two guys were Billy and his cousin who was visiting. AND BILLY DOES NOT REMEMBER THIS! And I am sure you can figure out why he does not remember.

Fast forward to 1996. I went to the football game that day in the hot sun with a nasty cold. Had a great time but was dead tired. I had promised my roommate that I would go to a party her boyfriend was having and made another promise to a friend (from the previous story) to stop by her house. I almost bailed on both. But I felt bad for my roommate and friend because when guys have parties there are usually a shortage of girls and I did not want them to be all alone. I met my roommate at the party and stayed for a while until a weirdo kept following me around. So I headed to the next party. Much nicer! I knew almost everyone there and was having a good time. A few guys around me wanted to play dominoes but were short one person and asked me to play. I sat down and we were introducing ourselves. Billy was telling me who he was and where he was from and I stopped him and told him that I already knew him. He did not remember! I still tease him about that! We had a good time talking and he walked me to my car.

The next week he called me and asked me to the football game but not to Midnight Yell (fellow Aggies will understand this and those that aren't Aggies- sorry). I thought this was weird because they both kinda go hand in hand. Then I started thinking that he already had a date to yell practice and she couldn't come to the game. But one of Billy's friend informed him he was an idiot for not inviting me to both (THANKS BOB!!!) and he called me back and asked me to yell also. And that was our first date! And it was free and he got to kiss me because that is the tradition at A&M to kiss when the lights go out at yell and after every touchdown during the game. And we know Billy will not break any Aggie traditions. We had a great time and it was the start of something big.

The last ten years have been the best of my life. And now you probably know more than you want to. I wanted to write this down for my boys. I want them to know that what they see now is the same as it was ten years ago. Our love has not changed, the fun we have together has not changed and the traditions have not changed. We still kiss after every touchdown. We have a great story and I want them to know it. Your life has already been planned for you. You just have to follow your heart.

3 comments:

KirstyB said...

Awwwww...fun getting to know more about you, Aggiefamily Amanda!! :) Isn't it amazing how things just fall into place like they should?!?! Here's to many, many more wonderful 10 years for you guys!! :)

Justin and Susie said...

I love the story! I'd never heard it! Hope you have a great anniversary! Remember when Ann and I came up to visit you and Billy and we went and saw Men In Black and it hailed on the way home... memories!

grandma' place said...

Amanda, never did hear how you two met. It is great to have a daughtr-in-law like you. Thank you for being such a great and loving wife for my son and mother for my grandchildren .